Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Meditation And Prayer

When I was a child growing up in a southern town of less than two thousand humans, I never heard the word, "meditation." When I did start hearing the word in a fashion that was memorable, I was a teen. At that point, the practice of meditation was utterly described to me as a middle-eastern religious activity, far outside the safety of God's ordained lifestyle. As a Christian who believes in the supernatural, I stayed FAR away from such a practice. 
1 John 4:1
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

As an adult I began to deal with the natural result of womanhood; a brain that ponders too much simultaneously. I read about "quieting the mind," through the practice of meditation. But because of my wary introduction to meditation I kept my guard up about the practice. 

However, as a staunch Christian, the Bible has always had a heavy influence in my life. I hadn't realized it, but scriptures were all along showing me what meditation was, and how to do it. 

Here's ONE such scripture.
I'm going to insert a list of verses after this blog.
Philippians 4:8
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.


To sit in a quiet place (or a noisy place if a quiet one isn't available) and to meditate on the goodness of God and all that He made is a very important practice that we should most definitely be engaged in. Scripture encourages us to practice meditation. 

When we are going through dire situations, our thoughts can run on a very negative track. But, if we'll begin to think about the miraculous deliverances of the Lord, we'll begin to be able to see a more positive outcome for ourselves. Our thoughts DEFINE us. If we will shut down the negative thoughts by flooding our thinking with victorious thoughts, we can live out a lifestyle of FAITH! It's amazing! 

The scripture let's us know that every good and perfect gift is from God to us. To quiet worrisome thoughts with images of the lapping waves of the ocean, or flowers in bloom, or green meadows, all of which are creations of God, we can find comfort and peace in the midst of raging storms.

I often quiet my mind simply by repeating the phrase a few times in my mind, "I am complete in Him."

In my personal meditation I end up smiling so BIG! In a day I smile at people on purpose, no matter what I feel like. I make myself smile. But when I meditate on all God has made, on all he can do, on his love and kindness I end up smiling irresistibly! I'm sure I look silly just sitting in a room all alone with my eyes closed, and a big grin plastered across my face!

I have found that meditation is not enough. Meditation is all about me and my health. Mediation is to quiet the storms of my mind. Meditation is to incite peace, faith, and hope. Prayer is the second, necessary arm that helps us be successful overcomers.

Meditation is all about calm. 
Prayer is all about CHANGE! 

Prayer is the activator.
Prayer gives hope a pair of feet.
Prayer brings the miraculous of ancient occurrences in scripture to happen in our present day.
Prayer takes the meditations of victory and makes them reality.

While I encourage biblical meditation, I must enlighten with the understanding that it doesn't take the place of travail and intercession. Meditation can't take the place of praying in the Holy Ghost. Meditation cannot do what prayer does. Just like prayer cannot do what meditation does. 

We need both to be balanced, to be equipped, to be all God needs us to be. 

Thrive in a lifestyle of meditation and prayer. 

And now for those verses about meditation I promised. These are a simplified short list. There are many more! 

Genesis 24:63 (KJV)
And Isaac went out to meditate in the field at the eventide: and he lifted up his eyes, and saw, and, behold, the camels [were] coming.

Joshua 1:8 (KJV)
This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

Psalm 1:2 (KJV)
But his delight [is] in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

Psalm 63:6 (KJV)
When I remember thee upon my bed, [and] meditate on thee in the [night] watches.

Psalm 77:12 (KJV)
I will meditate also of all thy work, and talk of thy doings.

Psalm 119:15 (KJV)
I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.

Psalm 119:23 (KJV)
Princes also did sit [and] speak against me: [but] thy servant did meditate in thy statutes.

Psalm 119:48 (KJV)
My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.

Psalm 119:78 (KJV)
Let the proud be ashamed; for they dealt perversely with me without a cause: [but] I will meditate in thy precepts.

Psalm 119:148 (KJV)
Mine eyes prevent the [night] watches, that I might meditate in thy word.

Psalm 143:5 (KJV)
I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands.

1 Timothy 4:15 (KJV)
Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment