Wednesday, May 1, 2013

WORD, Prayer & Fasting, Day 4

The instructions of the Lord are perfect, reviving the soul. The decrees of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The commandments of the Lord are right, bringing joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are clear, giving insight for living. (Psalms 19:7, 8 NLT)

The Bible is the most important spiritual resource we have. It's the Bible that tells us to pray at all. It's the Bible that tells us how, when, or where to seek God, please God, find God. It the Bible that holds the secret to a good marriage, good parenting, successful career. I could go on, and on about how the Bible holds direction and truths for every facet of life.

Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path. (Psalms 119:105 NLT)

When my two children were each toddlers, I was walking a back path, through a wooded field to my mother's home out in the Florida scrubs. It was dusk and the sun was setting. I was carrying my youngest on my hip, and my eldest, a mere eighteen months older than the baby, was barely keeping up, even with me holding her hand.

It had rained that day, causing limbs and other unexpected brush to lay across our path. With the low light and the precarious path, it struck me suddenly how much like life this path was. Because, as a new mom, you may have a basic pathway to follow, one you've seen your mom or grandma follow, or maybe one you've seen a mentor take. So you know the basic path, but there are all these unexpected limbs across your path. Not to mention the foxes that you're aware frequents this area. And you can't really see very well. So, we're all just sort of guessing our way through.

Immediately, the Spirit of God said to me, "Not if your illuminating your way with my Word!"

Wow! That was such a major "Ah-ha!" moment for me! The Bible tells me how to be a good parent, shining a light on the obstacles in the way. With regular intake of scripture I will navigate my life, and that of those I'm responsible for, with MUCH more accuracy!

I've used motherhood as an example, but literally for EVERY aspect and role of life there is scripture for. GET THE LIGHT ON IN YOUR LIFE!

How sweet your words taste to me; they are sweeter than honey. (Psalms 119:103 NLT)

The scripture will add sweetness to your life. We live in a day when the Bible is more accessible than ever before. On my phone I use a Bible app called YouVersion most. Though I also use BlueLetterBible. I have the BibleGateway app, though I tend to use that most on my PC. When I drive any distance more than a half hour, I usually turn on the audio Bible in the YouVersion app. Sometimes I'll follow a plan offered in YouVersion, other times I'll be led by the Spirit to specific passages.

You've got the Bible in traditional paper book form, at your library on their computers, on phones and digital tablets. The options are vast!

Do not allow anything to hinder getting this light of truth illuminating your life.

I love to pray the scripture. Here are some scriptures I pray.

Here are some fasting ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment